TEXT_The ZAC Forgeot Saint-Antoine is located at the northern access to the town of Châlons-en-Champagne and very close to the town centre. The project aims to convert the Chanzy and Forgeot barracks into a mixed use area of which housing is the major component.
This project constitutes a major and challenging element in the development of the town due to both its significant size (25 hectares) and its location right on the edge of the town centre along a major axis of circulation.
The conversion and urbanisation of this military area will make it possible to respond to the increased demand for both individual and collective apartments in the centre of the municipality. The ZAC should make it possible to both diversify the mix and improve the quality of the housing on offer.
The project thus favours urban mix: it includes the remodelling of the road network in order to ensure that the new district slips seamlessly into the fabric of the town and opens it up to the surrounding area.
It is also a pilot project in terms of environmental quality and sustainable development and will serve to symbolise the engagement of the town in these areas.
- PROGRAM_conversion of barracks into an ecological district
- LOCATION_Châlon-en-Champagne (51)
- SURFACE AREA_25ha – 120,000m² (excluding external walls) of apartments, office and commercial space, 10ha of public space
- DESIGNER_Agence Patrick Chavannes
- ROLE_general urban design role diagnosis / drawing up of general development plan for the ZAC / client support / architectural, urban design and landscape descriptions / documentation of plots / architectural support
- PHASE_finalisation of the architectural, urban design and landscape descriptions
- COLLABORATORS_environmental engineer : Agence Franck Boutté / infrastructure engineer : SOGETI ingénieurie / urban regulation / Geogram